by nutritionist Lisa Sherman
With the colder weather approaching it’s a good idea to think about ways to boost our immune systems so we can still get our training in and perform at our best.
A healthy, balanced and wholefood diet with lots of colourful vegetables, fruit, wholegrains, nuts and seeds will provide the variety of nutrients we need to support our immune system, especially vitamins, A, C, D, E, zinc and antioxidants.
But there are some other things we can do to really give our immune system a boost, especially if you are feeling a little rundown:
· Vitamin C is essential for your immune system, is a powerful antioxidant and also helps with viral and bacterial infections. Add extra serves to your diet such as spinach, broccoli, kale, tomatoes, zucchini, apples and citrus fruits.
· Ginger gives a great boost to your immune system, helps ease nausea and is anti-inflammatory. Add to stir-fries, mashed carrot and pumpkin, or serve as a hot tea.
· Garlic is also anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal so a great addition to any number of dishes and also helps the digestive system and heart circulation.
· Tumeric has a wide range of benefits including antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and is high in Vitamins C, E and zinc among other nutrients. Use as a spice in cooking or serve as a hot beverage.
· Pomegranate juice helps fight bacteria and several kinds of viruses as it is high in Vitamin C and has anti-inflammatory properties.
· Drink water to stay hydrated and limit alcoholic and sugary beverages.
· Get plenty of rest and early nights.
· Practice good hygiene – we can never underestimate how important it is to wash our hands regularly to help avoiding spreading colds and infections.
These are just a few of the many things we can do to give our immune system a boost, not only during the colder months but any time. If you are looking for more ideas or would like some great recipes perfect for a healthy immune system, give me a call or drop me an email.
Whole Life Nutrition
Mobile 0413 580 608