Revitalise with these beautiful rice and salmon dishes. They are easy to make and will make you think creatively about rice & salmon.
BBQ Salmon skewers with lemon, honey & chilli sauce. Salmon is nutrient dense and a great fish to have once a week due to their omega-3 fats, which contribute to healthy brain, heart, joints and general wellbeing. It is also a high source of protein, potassium, selenium, vitamin B12 etc.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 600gram / large salmon fillet or 2 medium fillets
- 8 bamboo skewers
Lemon, honey & chilli sauce:
- 3 lemons, juiced and zest grated
- sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 50mL soy sauce
- 50mL sweet chilli sauce
- red chilli chopped
- olive oil
- parsley or chives chopped
1) Heat BBQ to hot
2) Thread finger sized portions of salmon onto skewers i.e. 3 portions per skewer for 8 skewers
3) Mix sauce ingredients, minus herbs and cook to thicken sauce. Cool slightly and add herbs.
4) Baste salmon with some of the sauce and reserve a clean batch for serving / dipping
5) BBQ salmon skewers about 1 min each side.
This black, red & brown rice salad recipe is bursting with flavour & nutrients (zinc, iron, magnesium, B vitamins, manganese, protein, fibre, carbs, antioxidants etc). Black rice packs even more punch than red & brown so well worth adding all these into your diet. This salad is always a hit at BBQ’s if you're wondering what salad to take to your next gathering.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8 (great for leftovers but recipe can be halved if necessary):
- 3 cups black, red & brown rice
- 3 celery storks as well as the leaf
- 1 green capsicum
- 2 cobs fresh cooked corn
- 1/2 cup of toasted slivered almonds
- 4 oranges
- 1 cup currants or sultanas
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 red chilli
- 1 spanish onion
- 1 bunch shallots
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp light soy
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- lemon or lime
- orange juice
1) Cook the rice for 20 min and let cool. Stir through some oil and juice from 1/2 an orange.
2) Chop the celery including leaf, cut the corn from the cob and chop the green capsicum finely.
3) Toast the almonds.
4) Grate the rind of 2 oranges then juice them, then peel the other 2 oranges and chop them for the salad.
5) Add one cup of sultanas and chop the whole bunch of coriander including root.
6) Finely chop chilli, red onion and shallots.
Mix together mirin, soy, sesame oil, juice of lemon or lime and orange juice.
Enjoy dinner and celebrate your health and fitness.